Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
The Pre-Op/PACU registered nurse provides therapeutic, effective patient/family centered care according to physician order, in compliance with the philosophy of the surgery center, standards of practice and regulations of governing agencies.
- Review current surgery schedule each morning and prepare room, supplies and equipment.
- Introduces self to patient, verifies patient’s identity per Center for Surgery policy and escorts patient to the preoperative area.
- Admits patient according to the facilities policy and procedure.
- Verifies operative site with patient per facility policy and procedure.
- Completes preoperative teaching to patient and family and initiates postoperative teaching to be completed during the recovery phase.
- Obtains laboratory, EKG and radiology studies requested by the physician according to policy and procedure.
- Maintains and demonstrates safe medication practices.
- Ability to start peripheral IV a plus
- Demonstrates proper infection control procedures.
- Assures the patient and/or family understands procedure to be performed.
- Completes preoperative record.
- Ensures the patient has been seen by anesthesia and has a current history and physical on the chart prior to surgery.
- Provides for patient safety by assuring a safe environment.
- Sets priorities to facilitate the flow of patients efficiently.
- Makes preoperative and postoperative patient phone calls.
- Reviews preadmission information. Notifies physician of any abnormal values or insufficient reports.
- The nurse will use the nursing process including: assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation, in order to provide safe effective outcomes
- Administers and charts medications as ordered by the physician, reinforces and clarifies physician instructions and explanation of procedures to patient and companion.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and competence of designated skills identified for position in PACU patient care duties, including the ability to provide for patient care in emergency situations and based upon age-specific needs utilizing a developmental perspective.
- Maintains and evaluates their own clinical expertise and clinical practice, demonstrates the importance of continuing education to the performance of facility responsibilities and professional growth.
- Maintains flexibility with scheduling and job assignments in order to cover patient needs. Ability to work in multiple perioperative areas.
- Fosters a positive and professional ambulatory surgery center environment by interacting with all persons in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner and by participating as a team member.
- Participates in committees, work groups and meetings as deemed necessary. Can demonstrate measurable results and meet target dates. Collaborates with a multidisciplinary team and takes part in shared leadership.
- Successfully completes required competencies required of the position
- Registered Nurse (required)
- License to practice as a RN in the state of SC
- Minimum of 1 year Pre-Op/PACU experience
- BLS certification
- Comfortable with orthopedic patients
Ability to demonstrate, promote and apply our workplace values:
- Clinical Quality
- Service Excellence
- Continuous Improvement